Hormone Replacement Therapy Specialist Q&A
If you are experiencing symptoms of a hormonal imbalance, come to Golden State Medical Center for a professional evaluation in San Ramon, CA. We are located at 2551 San Ramon Valley Blvd. Suite 108. San Ramon, CA 94583. For more information, please call us or request an appointment online.
Table of Contents:
Hormones are regulatory substances that stimulate specific actions and bodily functions, such as body temperature, wakefulness, mood, metabolism and reproduction. There are several types of hormones, each with their specific role. When the body is in equilibrium, it can function properly and perform at optimal health. However, when the body’s hormonal levels become imbalanced, it often manifests as symptoms such as fatigue, mood swings and sexual dysfunction. Hormonal imbalances are often caused when a gland either overproduces or underproduces a specific hormone.
Hormone therapy, also known as hormone replacement therapy, is a treatment that seeks to correct hormonal imbalances. It is prescribed by a doctor to address health concerns caused by either too much or too little of a specific hormone. One of the main reasons people receive hormone replacement therapy is to treat age-related hormonal changes, like menopause and andropause. Hormone therapy can include a single type of hormone or a combination of hormones, depending on patient needs.
Hormonal imbalances can produce a wide variety of symptoms that affect both men and women, including:
– Weight gain
– Decreased libido
– Sexual dysfunction
– Increased thirst
– Increased hunger
– Frequent urination
– Muscle weakness
– Dry skin
– Increased sensitivity to cold or heat
– A lump of fat between the shoulders
– Unexplained, and sometimes sudden, weight loss
– Muscle aches, tenderness, and stiffness
– Increased or decreased heart rate
– Constipation or more frequent bowel movements
– Nervousness, anxiety, or irritability
– Blurred vision
– Thinning hair or fine, brittle hair
– Puffy face
– Rounded face
– Purple or pink stretch marks
The most effective way to treat hormonal imbalances is through hormone replacement therapy. Each treatment is specifically designed to address the individual needs of the patient. Hormone therapy can correct different hormonal imbalances, most commonly sex hormones including estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone.
If you are experiencing any of the symptoms mentioned above, it may be recommended to receive hormone replacement therapy. In addition, there are symptoms specific to both men and women, which should also be evaluated by a medical professional to determine if hormone therapy should be used for treatment.
Symptoms of hormonal imbalances in men include:
– Erectile dysfunction (ED)
– Loss of muscle mass
– Loss of bone mass, also known as osteoporosis
– Gynecomastia, or the development of breast tissue
– Breast tenderness
– Decrease in beard growth and body hair growth
– Difficulty concentrating
– Hot flashes
Symptoms of hormonal imbalances in women include:
– Heavy or irregular menstruation, including frequent periods, stopped periods, late periods and missing periods
– Excessive hair growth on the face, chin, or other parts of the body (hirsutism)
– Hair loss
– Acne on the face, chest, or upper back
– Skin tags
– Pain during sex
– Vaginal atrophy
– Vaginal dryness
– Night sweats
– Darkening of the skin, especially underneath the breasts, on the groin, or along neck creases
If you or someone you love is experiencing symptoms of a hormonal imbalance, it is important to receive a professional medical evaluation as soon as possible. When treated early, many complications can often be avoided. Trust the medical professionals at Golden State Medical Center to find the solution to your problems. We specialize in hormone replacement therapy and can help you restore your body to its natural equilibrium. Call us today to book an appointment. We serve patients from San Ramon CA, Dublin CA, Blackhawk CA, Danville CA, Alamo Oaks CA, Diablo CA, Dougherty CA, Tassajara CA, Brookshire CA, and Pleasanton CA. Looking forward to serve you!